Congratulations to the following winners of the 2014 Bromeliad Society/Houston show held at Mercer Arboretum on May 17-18.
See photo gallery
- Mulford Foster Best in Show Horticulture, Wray Page, Aechmea brassicoides.
- Morris Henry Hobbs Best in Show Artistic, Allyn Pearlman, with the artistic arrangement, “Slugs and Snails in the Garden”.
- Hobbyist Sweepstakes, Rick Richtmyer.
- Best of Div. I, Pitcairnioideae, Dyckia choristaminea ‘Silver Select’, entered by Cynthia Johnson. Best in Sec. 1A, Single Plant, Dyckia ‘Heaven and Hell’, Cynthia Johnson. Best in Sec. 1B, Multiple Plants, Dyckia ‘Snowball’, Cynthia Johnson.
- Best of Div. II, Tillandsioideae, Catopsis subulata, Rick Richtmyer. Best in Sec. A, Single Plant, Till. punctulata, Rick Richtmyer. Best in Sec. B, Multiple Plants, Till. balbisiana, John Schmidt.
- Best of Div. III, Bromelioideae, Bill. ‘La Vie En Rose, Steve Reynolds. Best in Sec. 3A, Single Blooming, Orthophytum harleyi, Cynthia Johnson. Best in Sec. 3B, Single Foliage, Bill. ‘Ivory Tower’, Wray Page. Best of Sec. 3C, Multiple Blooming, Quesnelia marmorata ‘Rafael Oliveria’ Steve Reynolds. Best in Section D, Multiple Foliage, Crypt. ‘Absolute Zero’, Ruby Adams.
- Best in Div. IV, Intergeneric Hybrid, Neophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’, Cynthia Johnson. Best in Sec. 4A, Neophytum ‘Gary Hendrix’, Rick Richtmyer.
- Best in Div. V, Horticultural Displays, Till. usneoides, John Schmidt. Best in Sec. 5B, Best Single Foliage, Till. gardneri, Rick Richtmyer. Best in Sec. 5C, Multiple Blooming, Till. caput medusa, Sam Chism. Best in Sec. 5D, Multiple Foliage, Neo. lilliputiana, Steve Reynolds.
- Best in Div. VII, Artistic Arrangements, “Follow the Garden Path”, Allyn Pearlman. Best in Sec. A, “Rainy Day Garden”, Allyn Pearlman.
- Best in Div. VIII, Decorative Containers, Orthophytum harleyi, Joanne Woolsey. Best in Sec. A, Crypt. ‘Pixie’, Allyn Pearlman.
Special Award Winners
- Lou Trahan Artistic Sweepstakes: Allyn Pearlman
- Tom Montgomery Genera Sweepstakes: Gene Powers
- Lindsey Stowe Cryptanthus Sweepstakes: Ruby Adams
- Valerie Steckler Horticultural Display Sweepstakes: Rick Richtmyer
- John Anderson Best Aechmea Species: Ae. brassicoides, Wray Page
- Most Eye-Catching Neo: Neo. ‘Picasso’, Joanne Woolsey
- Members’ Choice: Neoglaziouii variegata, Cynthia Johnson
- Best Judges, Guzmania splendens, Malcolm McCorquodale
- Best Novice: Orthophytum gurkenii ‘Warren Loose’, Gordon Stowe
- Bob Whitman Best Cryptanthus Species: Crypt. grazielae, Carole Richtmyer
- Warren Loose Best Cryptanthus Hybrid: Crypt. ‘Absolute Zero’, Ruby Adams
SHOW STATISTICS: 22 exhibitors, 227 judged entries
(192 Category I – Horticulture, and 35 Category II – Artistic). The judges awarded 122 AM, 78 blue, and 27 red ribbons.