Meeting Date: Saturday, June 11, 10:00 a.m.
Meeting Place: Cynthia and Ray Johnson’s place
13330 Alaskan Drive, Beaumont, TX 77713-9438
Program Title: ABC’s of Bromeliads picnic
Sat., June 11 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00p.m. is our annual ABC’s of Bromeliads in Beaumont, TX at Cynthia and Ray Johnson’s lovely place. It’s a picnic and bromeliad workshop. We will tour the Johnson’s greenhouses, have a make and take program (planting Bromeliad seeds), and enjoy a picnic together. Everyone is invited for a fun outing. Each person needs to bring one covered dish. Drinks and meat are provided by the BS/H.
Next Board Meeting: July 22, 7:30 p.m.
Deadline for July Bulletin: 6/15/11
Congratulations to the following winners of the 2011 Bromeliad Society/Houston show held at Mercer Arboretum on April 30-May 1.
See photo gallery
- Mulford Foster Best in Show Horticulture, Cynthia Johnson, entering Dyckia goehringii.
- Morris Henry Hobbs Best in Show Artistic, Allyn Pearlman, with the artistic arrangement, “Winter Again”.
- Winner of Hobbyist Sweepstakes, David Whipkey.
- Best of Div. I, Pitcairnioideae, Dyckia ‘Silverback’ F2, entered by Cynthia Johnson.
- Best in Sec. 1A, Single Plant, Dyckia ‘Keswick’ X ‘Paylen’ X ‘Arizona’ X ‘Brittlestar’, Cynthia Johnson.
- Best in Sec. 1B, Multiple Plants, Dyckia ‘Warren, Cynthia Johnson.
- Best of Div. II, Tillandsioideae, Catopsis subulata, Rick Richtmyer.
- Best in Sec. A, Single Plant, Till. xerographic, David Whipkey.
- Best in Sec. B, Multiple Plants, Vriesea corcovadensis, Rick Richtmyer.
- Best of Div. III, Bromelioideae, Ae. bromelifolia, Daryl Page.
- Best in Sec. 3A, Single Blooming, Orthophytum ‘Stardust’, David Whipkey.
- Best in Sec. 3B, Single Foliage, Bill. ‘Bruddah Iz’ (arriba X sanderiana X rosea), Wray Page. Sec. 3B runner-up, Ques. marmorata, Cynthia Johnson.
- Best of Sec. 3C, Multiple Blooming, Ortho. conquistensis, Rick Richtmyer.
- Best in Section D, Multiple Foliage, Neoglaziovia variegata, Cynthia Johnson. Sec. 3D runner-up, Bill. ‘Domingos Martins’, Daryl Page.
- Best in Div. IV, Intergeneric Hybrid, Neophytum Canmea ‘Galaxy’, Cynthia Johnson.
- Best in Div. V, Horticultural Displays, Till. purpurea, Daryl Page.
- Best in Sec. 5A, Single Blooming, Till. fasciculata, Odean Head.
- Best in Sec. 5B, Single Foliage, Till. caput-medusa, Don Green.
- Best in Sec. 5C, Multiple Blooming, Dyckia ‘Arizona’ (Brittlestar F2), Chris Nguyen.
- Best in Sec. 5D, Multiple Foliage, Till. fuchsii forma gracilis, Wray Page.
- Best in Div. VII, Artistic Arrangements, “Itsy Bitsy Spider”, Allyn Pearlman.
- Best in Sec. A, “Bromeliads for Breast Cancer Awareness”, Allyn Pearlman.
- Best in Div. VIII, Decorative Containers, Crypt. argyrophyllus, Allyn Pearlman.
- Best in Sec. A, Ae. recurvata, Ken Gardner.
- Best in Div. IX, Art, Phil Speer, Wood Intarsia.
- Winner of Div. X Section A, Judges, Neo. ‘Brian Weber’, Lindsey Stowe. Section B, Best Novice, Neo. ‘Bingito’, Sid Newton.
Ruby Jubilee, Special Awards Winners:
- Lou Trahan Artistic Sweepstakes: Allyn Pearlman
- Tom Montgomery Genera Sweepstakes: David Whipkey
- Valerie Steckler Hort. Display Sweepstakes: Don Green
- Novice Sweepstakes: John Schmidt
- John Anderson Best Aechmea species: Ae. bromelifolia, Daryl Page
- Most Eye-Catching Neo: Neo. ‘Bravo Allison’, Jimmey Woolsey
- Members’ Choice: Dyckia ‘Brittlestar’ F2, Chris Nguyen
- Bob Whitman Best Cryptanthus Species: Crypt. warasii, Rick Richtmyer
- Warren Loose Best Cryptanthus Hybrid: Crypt. ‘Thelma O’Reilly’, Ray Johnson
Meeting Date: Tuesday, May 17, 7:30 p.m.
Meeting Place: Houston Garden Center in Hermann Park
Program Title: “Tillandsias to Fire Your Passion and More”
Program Speaker: Paul Isley
Paul Isley, author of Tillansia I and Tillandsia II, co-owner of Rainforest Flora, Inc. nursery in Calilfornia. Paul will also be selling his newest book, Tillandsia II ($72.00) and a variety of Tillandsias. Contact our website to order a book ahead of time. This is an opportunity you won’t want to miss!
Seedling: Vr. ospinae
Supplied by David Meade. Nice yellow bloom.
- Greetings/Call to Order/Plant Sale
- Show and Tell
- Cultural Tips
- Break/Refreshments/Buy raffle tickets/Plants
Next Board Meeting: May 19, 7:30 p.m.
Deadline for June Bulletin: 5/22/11
Apr.30, and May 1 2011
Celebrate the beauty of bromeliads with us at our 40th Annual Show, Ruby Jubilee. The show features both Horticultural and Artistic categories. It’s a great opportunity to see the variety of colors, textures, and forms available within the bromeliad family.
Apr. 29, 30, and May 1 2011
Premier Bromeliad Sale for the Houston area – many genera for both the casual grower and the bromeliad collector will be available. (See times and place on BSH calendar.)