Meeting Date: Tuesday, October 15, 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Meeting Place: Metropolitan Multi-Service Center at 1475 West Gray St., Houston, TX 77019
Program Speaker: Dennis Cathcart from the Tropiflora nursery in Sarasota, Florida
Program: “Understanding Bromeliads”
Dennis has traveled the world observing, studying, and photographing Bromeliads in cultivation and in habitat. His presentation will touch on the following topics:
- An explanation of what a Bromeliad is.
- Their geographical range.
- A bit about their discovery and early culture.
- Size of the Bromeliad family.
- Main characteristics of the different subfamilies.
- Physical sizes of various plants.
- Bromeliad phenotypes.
- Explanation and examples of the three main ‘cultural’ types of bromeliads.
- A section discussing Bromeliad monocarpy.
- Social time
- President’s Welcome
- Announcements and Committee Reports
- Show and Tell
- Short Break for Refreshments, plant sales, and to purchase raffle tickets
- Guest Speaker
- Plant Raffle
Since plants from the Tropiflora nursery will be on sale, there will NOT be a member sale at this meeting.
Next Board Meeting: Thurs., November 21, 7:00 p.m.
Deadline for the September bulletin: October5, 2019